Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Let them eat cake

Between family reunion and family vacation and the busyness that is summer, I haven't found the time to sit and blog my thoughts like I'd like. Still, I couldn't let this cake I made go unmentioned. I want to make sure that remember how I did it. 
The original that that was modified from was one of my favorites that my mom would make me as a kid. I've started making it on occasion for my daughter's birthday (which was the occasion today). We love it. It's like a banana bread in a cake form, with a sinful cream cheese frosting. 
Here is my version made today: 


Ingredients
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cups almond flour 
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups honey
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons coconut oil
5 to 6 mashed bananas
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained (I actually had a 15 oz one and did just over half of it)

Spray a 9x13 pan and preheat oven to 350*.

Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, applesauce, honey, and oil. Combine with flour mixture but do not beat or overly mix. In a separate bowl mix together bananas, pineapple and vanilla. Stir into batter until combined. 
Bake for about 30 minutes and check center for doneness. 

Cream cheese(ish) frosting
5oz low-fat cream cheese
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup powdered sugar

Beat together everything except powdered sugar until well blended. Gradually  add in powdered sugar and beat to consistency.
 
*I think this 'frosting' would even work well as a fruit dip. You might even be able to leave out the powdered sugar that way. It set up pretty nicely when I put it all in the fridge after putting it on the cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your support and encouragement. Please note that this blog is meant to be a safe and honest place. Spamming and unnecessary negativity will not be tolerated. There is enough of that in the world. Thank you for your understanding!